The Spine Center is the home of advanced spinal surgery in the Chicago area. We use minimally invasive techniques and advanced implant devices for total disc replacement.
Arthroplasty is a medical field focusing on restoration of joints affected by severe degeneration. Total disc arthroplasty (TDA) is a surgical technique that completely removes a compromised spinal disc, replacing it with a specially designed implant made of polyethylene and metal. The procedure is commonly referred to as total disc replacement. Request an appointment for consultation and more information on how we can help you.
There are various techniques, but the arthroplasty procedure generally consists of the following steps:
- After anesthesia and preparation, a very small incision is created
- Debris, including the damaged discs and diseased tissue, is removed
- Vertebra are gently spread apart, restoring the natural space cushion and reliving pressure on the nerves
- Implant endplates are inserted and positioned
- The sliding polyethylene core is positioned between the endplates
- When the procedure is complete and the endplates are seated, the prosthesis is carefully evaluated using x-ray imagery
Cervical Arthroplasty (Disc Replacement in the Neck)
Failure of discs in the neck can cause pain, limited mobility, numbness, tingling, and even paralysis. Cervical arthroplasty typically only requires one, very small, incision at the front of the neck.
Lumbar Arthroplasty (Disc Replacement in the Lower Back)
Another common site of disc degeneration is the lower back. Known as lumbar disc degeneration, it is a leading cause of debilitating back pain. The traditional remedy is spinal fusion, which causes multiple vertebra to grow together, essentially forming a single bone. The disadvantage of fusion is limited range of motion. By contrast, lumbar arthroplasty recreates the natural spinal structure, relieving pain while preserving flexibility.
Call (847) 628-8147 and schedule a consultation to find out if you are a good candidate.